East Riddlesden Hall
Built on the foundations of an earlier medieval hall, East Riddlesden Hall near Keighley is a 17th century mansion house. The main part of the house was rebuilt around 1630, with further work being carried out in 1648 and again in 1692. The hall is two storeys high and built of ashlar, it is considered one of the best examples of vernacular Yorkshire architecture from this era. Acquired by James Murgatroyd in 1632, it was he who did much of the rebuilding work in the 1640s. The National Trust now owns the hall. The notes accompanying each photograph are from a series of lectures first given to the Hebden Bridge Literary & Scientific Society by Mr. George Hepworth around 1916.