Shibden Hall

The timber-framed Shibden Hall, Grade II* listed, was built c 1420 for a cloth merchant, William Otes, who is recorded as living in Schep dene, or valley of the sheep. The Shibden property passed through several owners during the succeeding centuries, it being occupied by the Lister family, also cloth merchants, from the early C17. In 1826 James Lister died and his niece, Anne (1791-1840) took over the management of the Shibden Hall estate, although she did not actually inherit it until after the death of her father, Jeremy, and aunt, also Anne, in 1836. The hall is open to the public, see the Calderdale Museums website for details.