Browse Items (83 total)

  • Tags: Methodist

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/GMA00120.jpg
Used as an illustration in Gertrude Attwood's book "A Village Childhood"

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HBC00542.jpg
Looking in a very sad state prior to demonlition. The Birchcliffe hillside can be seen in the distance on the left.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HBC00554.jpg
Salem Sunday School on Bridge Lanes can be seen not long before its demolition c1962. At the top of the picture Hebble Bridge can be seen with the start of the roads to Fairfield to the left and Horsehold to the right.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HBC00925.jpg
Photo taken from Clegg Nook shows the debris that has been brought down Hall Bank Lane and Scout Road.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HBC00932.jpg
Hall Bank Lane goes off to the right, and Mytholmroyd Farm is on the left. Thornber's hatchery can be seen on the left behind the church.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS01036.jpg
This Grade II listed chapel is situated off Northgate, Heptonstall, and is one of the earliest Wesleyan chapels in the country. John Wesley laid the foundation stone for the unusual octagonal building which was completed in 1764, since when it has…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/JSB00209.jpg
Situated on Haworth Road, this small chapel was built by the Crimsworth Dean Society in 1865. The chapel closed in July 1996 and is now a private house.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/JSB00216.jpg
Behind the Methodist Church can be seen Pecket Shed, one of the last fustian weaving mills, seems to crowd in on the Methodist Chapel.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00378.jpg
ALC00378. In the centre is Foster Lane Wesleyan Chapel which opened in 1904 and closed and demolished in the mid-1960s. To the right is Foster Mill, demolished early 1980s, and top left Cross Lanes United Methodist Chapel, opened 1840 destroyed by…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00396.jpg
Pre-1960. Looking from above Palace House Road over to Heptonstall Road and Cross Lanes Chapel on the hillside, demolished in the mid-1960s. Bottom right corner the top of Hope Baptist just visible.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00490.jpg
On the 8th October 1949 Heptonstall celebrated the 185th Anniversary of the Methodist Chapel. Pictured at the back of the Chapel with the Sunday School on the right, Mrs Fay Fielden, then Fay Smith is the little girl seated at the front.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC04550.jpg
The chapel was built in 1764 by a Methodist Society which had grown steadily since John Wesley’s first visit in 1747. At first it was a perfect octagon, but in 1802 the sides were extended and the gallery reconstructed to increase the capacity. The…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2