Browse Items (30 total)

  • Tags: St Georges Bridge

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00181.jpg
The Civic Trust's annual river clean-up in the town centre seen here from Old Bridge looking towards St George's Bridge.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00155.jpg
For several years the Calder Civic Trust organised an annual clean-up of Hebden Water in Hebden Bridge. Viewed here from under the Old Bridge with St Georges Bridge top right.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WSC00203.jpg
Looking down Hebden Water to the three bridges in the town centre; St Georges Bridge (1893, the Old Bridge (1510) and West End Bridge (1772).

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00451.jpg
Hebden Bridge's three bridges town centre bridges over Hebden Water. St Georges Bridge (1892), Old Bridge (1510), West End Bridge (1771). To the left the chimney of Bridge Mill. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00439.jpg
Bridges over Hebden Water in the town centre. In the foreground St Georges Bridge, then Old Bridge and above that West End Bridge . The buildings on the right have been demolished and replaced by a block of offices and shops. Part of the Hebden…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00434.jpg
On the left the Council Offices under construction in about 1897 and on the right the rear of the Shoulder of Mutton and Bridge Mill. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00433.jpg
Nutclough Mill just discernible centre left. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00497.jpg
Looking down Hebden Water to the three bridges in the centre of the town. The chimney of Bridge Mill is on the left and the Council Offices, incorporating the Fire Station, is on the right

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00359.jpg
ALC00359. St Georges Bridge was built in 1893 and here in about 1896 the partially constructed Council Offices are on the left. The rear of the Shoulder of Mutton on the right with Bridge Mill beyond.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00358.jpg
ALC00358. St Georges Bridge across the Hebden Water was erected in 1893. The houses to the left on Blackwater Street were demolished about 1896 to make way for the new Council's Offices. On the right the rear of the Shoulder of Mutton and beyond is…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/BIM00150.jpg
The Council Offices are on the left and the chimney of Bridge Mill is in the centre

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/SWA00111.jpg
Taken from the Old Bridge, St George's Bridge over Hebden Water is in the centre, with the chimney of Bridge Mill to the right, and the Council Offices on the left. Ref: 67-349

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/JSB00144.jpg
The Council Offices are on the left and the chimney of Bridge Mill towards the right. Straight ahead is Nutclough Mill.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/JSB00123.jpg
Taken from the Old Bridge. The side of the Council Offices is on the left and the chimney of Bridge Mill centre. Directly upstream can be seen Nutclough Mill.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05070.jpg
Looking across St Georges Bridge, built 1893, to the Square and the large Co-op building with its clock tower. The building on the right on Blackwater Street was demolished to make way for the Council Offices which were built in 1897.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05068.jpg
On the left building work has started on the Council Offices. The chimney and part of Bridge Mill are beyond the bridge.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05067.jpg
The buildings on the left, on what was then Blackwater Street, were demolished to make way for the Council Offices which opened in 1897. The chimney and part of Bridge Mill can be seen on the right.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05066.jpg
View down the Hebden Water passed the Council Offices, built 1897, St Georges Bridge, 1893, Old Bridge 1510, West End Bridge 1771. The open land bottom right is now Valley Road and Market Place.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HBC01033.jpg
Due to the increase in the weight of traffic many bridges had to be strengthened around this time. Hebden Bridge Council Offices are in the background.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HBC00847.jpg
Bridge Mill is on the left, and on the other side of the river is the Rear of Edmundson's paint shop.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HBC00846.jpg
The wooden building backing on to the river was Edmundson's paint shop, and the imposing building behind it is the Council Offices.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2