Browse Items (16 total)

  • Tags: Schools

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DPC00147.jpg
Crossley and Porter School History
The Crossley Heath school building owes its existence to the philanthropy of the Crossley brothers, Francis, John and Joseph. In 1857 they formulated a scheme for the establishment of a ‘superior College for the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DPC00131.jpg
Congregationalists had held regular meetings in Halifax since at least 1763 and the Square Chapel, named after the area although it is also square in shape, was opened in 1772 at a cost of over £2,000. The chapel was first preached in on 24th May…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TNC00331.jpg
View over Gauxholme/Copprashouse with the tower of Dobroyd Castle visible above it. Bottom right Shade School.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00414.jpg
Bottom centre the passenger station and to its left the large railway warehouse and goods sidings. Above them can be seen Riverside School, originally Hebden Bridge Grammar School which opened 1909. At the top of Station Road by Princes Bridge is…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00403.jpg
ALC00403. General view from Fairfield c.1910. The three chimneys from left to right are Beehive Works, Breck Mill and Salem Mill. The houses front right fronting on to what is now Palace House Road. The path on the left leading up to Old Chamber.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00354.jpg
c1929. Hebden Bridge Agricultural Show. Hebden Bridge Urban District Council purchased Calder Holmes Park in 1931 to be an open space for the town. Here we have an uninterrupted view across to Riverside School prior to the building of the Little…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05034.jpg
View across the town late 19th or early 20th century prior to the building of Riverside School in 1908. Bottom right is Central School following enlargement in 1895. Looking up the river beyond the second bridge the Council Offices built in 1897/8.…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05032.jpg
General view across to the Stubbings hillside. Centre left the Board School which opened in 1878 and along from it the partially constructed Zion Particular Baptist Chapel which was constructed in 1881 and opened for worship in 1882.

Centre right…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05028.jpg
This photograph was taken in the closing years of the 19th century or the beginning of the 20th. The Rochdale Canal running from the bottom to the top right makes a useful guide to the town as it was then. The road over the narrow bridge at the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS01120.jpg
The playground in the foreground is for Riverside School on Holme Street, and immediately beyond that is the junction between the River Calder and Hebden Water, and beyond that is Central Street School.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS00114.jpg
c.1912. In the foreground the large station warehouse which had been extended in 1884 and the sidings. The warehouse was demolished in 1969 following serious fire damage but goods facilities had been withdrawn in 1966.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2