Browse Items (27 total)

  • Tags: horse drawn
Hebden Bridge Marina. The horse, pictured here with Carol South, was used for towing a pleasure boat along a section of the canal for a period of several years.
Peter Killick Principal Keeper of the Horses at Work museum seated on the right. Tourism Officer Jane Brantom. Photo donated by Ann Kilbey
Undated postcard. At the summit of Blackstone Edge and anecdotally built to have a view of Yorkshire from one side and Lancashire from the other.
Walking across Hope Street from Albert Street with Hope Baptist Chapel on the right. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive
The charabanc is leaving Midgehole going towards Hebden Bridge. The road to the left goes down to New Bridge, and the mill when this was taken, and the road on the right to Hardcastle Crags gates. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society…
The butcher's shop at Bridge End. The gentleman standing 2nd from the left is Harry Ashworth.
The Co-op building is on the left and to the right you can just see the White Horse Hotel, now the site of Lees Yard Car Park.
Postcard. Coal dray horse outside Riverside School Hebden Bridge in full working dress. Postcard.
Coal dray outside Riverside School Hebden Bridge. The horse in full working dress! Postcard.
A horse drawn barge passing under the cast iron bow string bridge over the Rochdale Canal at Gauxholme near Todmorden with castellated twin Gothic tower abutments. The reinforcement beneath the deck was added in about 1905 to strengthen it.
Photo taken behind Burnley Road school, looking towards Mytholmroyd. The barge has just been through Broadbottom lock. The building on the left is part of the sewerage works and the gas holder can be seen in the distance.
The Demonstration of the Band of Hope Union c.1908. Most of the chapels took part in this annual parade in July. The photograph shows the procession leaving Hazlewood Street.
The Charter Day procession, 22nd August 1896. The procession, headed by the county police, is passing under the railway viaduct on Burnley Road. The building on the right is Ormerod's Mill.
The horse-drawn fire tender with its crew are photographed on Rochdale Road before joining a procession, about 1905. The man holding the horse is John Hamer Hollinrake who, in 1911, became the Chief Fire Officer.
This decorated cart has been prepared for a procession, under the eye of Mr William Sutcliffe, of Lowerlaithe.

Originally owned by Messrs. Thompson, the business was taken over by the Sutcliffe family around 1856.

Sutcliffe's teams of horses,…
Originally owned by Messrs. Thompson, the business was taken over by the Sutcliffe family around 1856.

Sutcliffe's teams of horses, noted for their strength, were constantly seen on the roads as they moved the grain and flour to and from the mill.…
The lorry is carrying a copper drying cylinder made by Geo. Whitehead & Sons at their Salford Works. This type of cylinder was used in the sizing process at firms such as Matthew Stuttard's, Warp Sizers, of Knowlwood Mill.
Several Todmorden firms produced or maintained the machinery used in the cotton factories. Lord Bros. produced textile machinery, often building looms to their own specification. Jeremiah Jackson was also in the machine trade as textile engineers,…
Slide 16 - Like so much at Kirklees, the two old vehicles, pictured on the screen, tell of long descent in one line, of permanent ownership and of the preservation of the odds-and-ends possessions of previous generations.

Very quaint and curious…
Engraving by J Shore c.1855. Looking up from Stubbing Holme where the Colden Water joins the River Calder, the 'mytholm'. Above is Mytholm Hall, St James Parish Church and above that Eaves Lower and Upper Mills and to the right Bankfoot Mill, now the…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2